Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sketches

Hello all,

What follows are some of the very first sketches of Reginald Daemon, when I was trying to get a feel for how the character would dress and who he would be.


I knew I wanted a 50's noir feel for his look, so no colors. Just grey, black and white. I figured that the character would be color blind (as am I) which would explain his preference for clothes lacking in color.




The next sketch was me trying to get a feel for how I wanted to express action beats in the story. I wanted the action to feel a bit rough and tumble. Not too clean. I wanted Daemon to be a real person, not a superhero or James Bond. He can handle himself in a fight, sure, but he's no martial artist or anything.


Finally, up to this point, I hadn't found his face yet. I wanted him to have an iconic, easily recognizable face. I knew I didn't want him to be traditionally good looking, with a strong, leading man profile or anything. I wanted him, again, to be a real person. I wanted him to look intelligent and fast thinking. I wanted him to look friendly, but capable of handling himself when things get rough. I have a friend at my work who has just the face I was looking for, so, borrowing a photo, I did this last sketch, to finally give Daemon the face I wanted.


Now, since this sketch, the final look has evolved some, but the core character came about because of the sketches you see above. In the next installment, I will share the first of many promo images to show you the final look for Daemon as well as the rest of the supporting players in Daemon's Sphere.

Thanks for reading.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment